While the origin of the word “gadget” is somewhat unclear, the term was in use in nautical circle in the 1800s, and became common in the US after World War I to refer something that provides a particular function, novelty or otherwise.
The gadgets we like all seem to have two things in common: they are clever devices that have a feature or function that amuse us in unexpected ways; they are unique, well constructed, and great looking. Those criteria are what decided our selections for this year’s RainyDayMagazine Gadgets GiftGuide.
- SoundDr Place & Play
- AwoX StriimLight Mini
- My Little Pony Headphones
- AdLens : Hemisphere, John Lennon
- Julbo Zulu Sunglasses
- Clearstream Eclipse HDTV antenna
- LeapMotion Controller
- BoogieBoards: Sync, RIP, Original
- Leatherman Skeletool
- BlackFire ClampLight Mini
- CarChip Pro
- Skywatch Windoo 3
- Casio Edifice 720 Atomic Watch
Sound Gadgets: Hear what you have been missing!!!
- SoundDr Place & Play : Works with pretty much any smartphone. No wires, no pairing, and no set-up required.
- AwoX StriimLight Mini : A small sized energy-saving LED light bulb with an integrated Bluetooth® speaker…what? Yes. The AwoX StriimLight will turn any standard lamp into stand for a speaker. Crazy cool. Right?
- My Little Pony Headphones : Tired of hearing “Frozen” for the thousandth time? Get the little one a pair of these Sakar headphones so you can finally get that tune out of your head. They have a volume-limiting feature so they won’t go deaf, at least not from the sound being too loud.
Sight Gadgets: Look and you shall find 🙂
- AdLens (Hemisphere, John Lennon): These are the world’s first complete range of adjustable focus eyewear. Available in both optical and sun versions, intuitive dials enable you to attain your prescriptions (in each lens separately!) quickly and easily. Customizable for a variety of activities, providing prescription vision in an instant.
- Julbo Zulu Sunglasses: Sensitive to visible light (will darken even behind a windshield) and polarizing with anti-reflective and oil-repellent coatings, the new Falcon lens is perfect for travel, driving and various sunny conditions. We have found the Zulu to provide clear vision even in the harshest of light conditions.
Screen Gadgets: The TV, computer, and either a smartphone and/or a tablet are screens we all interact with on a daily basis. Here are some suggestions to make them all better.
- For the TV screen: The ClearSteam™ Eclipse TV antenna with Sure Grip™ Technology takes the most advanced antenna technology, the tapered loop, and made it super simple to install. The flat antenna firmly grips to flat surfaces, is infinitely removable/repositionable and won’t leave traces of residue. Sure Grip™ resists moisture and is not affected by hot or cold temperatures. Amazed? Just wait until you see the super clear signal it grabs off the air for your HDTV!!!
- For the computer screen: The Leap Motion Controller tracks both hands and all 10 fingers with incredible speed – so you can now really play, create, and explore without touching anything. This tiny device has huge possibilities. V2.0 of the software resolved many of the reservations we had with the original software. We are happy to say that it is now ready for prime time.
- For the “third” screen: Some would think the “third” screen (after the TV and computer) would be an iPad, but we are suggesting you consider the Boogie Board instead. Why? Because these eWriters will let you say “goodbye” to paper forever. BTW, just one Boogie Board eWriter can save over 50,000 sheets of paper (and a lot of trees).
Miscellaneous Gadgets: Every Day Carry (EDC) is a concept that has been getting a lot of traction. It refers to some essential gadgets which we should have on our persons at all times.
- Leatherman Skeletool: A multi-tool that looks as great as it works, has everything you need, is easy to carry, and is made to last. What more is there?
- BlackFire ClampLight MINI: This little powerhouse of a flashlight is like no other flashlight in the world. Super bright LED, clamps to what is convenient, adjusts to put the light where you need it. What flashlight other than the ClampLight can do that?
- CarChip PRO: Want to know what is going on with your car? Plug the CarChip PRO into the OBD2 socket in the car (all cars made after 1996 has one) and leave it there. The CarChip PRO collects the data and lets you see what all is happening with the various systems. What’s more, it will let you RESET that annoying “Check Engine” light when it comes on and there is nothing really wrong. In our opinion, that one feature alone is worth having it!!!
- SkyWatch Windoo 3: Want a complete portable weather station complete with wind speed, wind direction, temperature, humidity, and pressure that will fit on your keychain? Then Windoo 3 is it. OK, you do need a smartphone as well, but who doesn’t have one these days???
Best Gadget: We rarely name a “Best” anything, but having had this Casio Edifice 720 Atomic wristwatch for a while, we felt justified in highlighting it in this year’s RainyDayMagazine Holiday Gift Guide. This watch requires almost zero maintainence (self-charging solar powered, auto-time set), has a 1/100th second chronograph, daily alarm, and 12/24 hour dial. Other notable features are:
- Black stainless steel case and link bracelet
- Push button deployment clasp
- Black analog dial with white luminous hands and hour markers
- Receives atomic timekeeping radio signals from towers worldwide
- Auto time checks up to 6 times per day
- Water resistant to 100M
BTW, if you are stumped as to which gadgets to get for those on your “good” list, you can always just give an Amazon Prime membership as a present 🙂