Santa’s workshop may be staffed by magical elves, but the RainyDayWorkshop is run by interns with power tools. While it is true that our RainyDayInterns can do magical things with tools, power or otherwise, it is also true that the excellent tools in our shop may have something to do with their DIY successes.
The RainyDayWorkshop is very well-equiped, but the interns are always interested in checking out new and/or improved, uh, stuff. For this year’s Gift Guide, they have put together a list, checked it twice, and assured us that they have been VERY VERY nice. Working from their suggestions, we have created our Tools GiftGuide with the idea of being able to increase what the RainyDayWorkshop can do. You may want to consider them for those on your list as well.
- Dremel Micro
- Dremel FortiFlex
- Dremel VersaFlame
- Dremel VersaTip
- Rockwell BladeRunner X2
- Rockwell Sonicrafter F30
- Dremel Ultra-Saw
- Slice Ceramic Cutters (Blade, Pen, Box Cutter)
- WORX SD Semiautomatic Driver
- WORX XTD Xtended Reach Driver
Crafting Tools: People who “craft” come in all stripes and colors. Some can create amazing folk art and jewelry from scraps of wood, strips of metal, and/or a bunch of river rocks. Others are able to make amusing and whimsical creations out of bits and pieces of whatever is laying about, like bent paperclips and twist ties (wait, that might be MacGyver). While there is a huge range in what these crafters make, what they have in common are great tools that enable them to create what they can imagine. It is no coincidence that Dremel makes a lot of the tools they use. Here are four new offerings from Dremel:
- Dremel Micro: Designed to be held between the thumb and forefinger like a pencil, the Dremel Micro allows a grip that is close to the work-piece for superior maneuverability and control. Perfect for anyone who do fine and detail work.
- Dremel FortiFlex: Want more power, but still want the control? The Dremel 9100 Fortiflex heavy-duty flex shaft too is where power meets precision. The Fortiflex is designed to be the ideal rotary tool for people engaging in detailed projects requiring both precision and power.
- Dremel VersaFlame: The VersaFlame is a brand new offering from Dremel. It is a compact torch designed to make working around the house and jobsite easier. The VersaFlame comes with a nine-piece kit that gives anyone the power to tackle an array of applications.
- Dremel VersaTip Precision Butane Torch: Want more control? The Dremel VersaTip™ is the ideal soldering torch for people engaged in creative and detailed projects that require precision and versatility combined with portability.
Cutting Tools: Got stuff to cut? Want precise control during those cuts? We have some suggestions for tools which will help with one or both of those requirements.
- Rockwell BladeRunner X2: The all-new Rockwell BladeRunner X2 features increased portability and versatility, making this portable tabletop saw a must-have for any project. The X2 now has a smaller, more compact size, but with a larger rip fence and hold-down guard & splitter for improved control and wider cuts. Also, a handle has now been integrated into the BladeRunner X2 so it can be taken easily from job to job.
- Rockwell Sonicrafter F30: This is the next-generation of oscillating multi-tools. With the unique Universal Fit System, the Sonicrafter will accept blades from other makers. The Sonicrafter F30 will also cut faster and with less vibration. Rockwell’s patented Vibrafree counterweight technology doesn’t just mean less jarring, it means quicker, smoother, and more precise cuts, whetheryou arer a pro or a DIY-er.
- Dremel US40 Ultra-Saw: For the heavier-duty tasks like grinding and cutting metal, the Dremel Ultra-Saw, with a 7.5-amp motor and a durable drive train, is the mother-of-a-cutter that is up to the job.
- Slice Ceramic Products: Slice’s cutting tools are making cutting better, safer and more precise. They do it by integrating new technology, visionary functionality, and superior design into products that people love to use.
- Measure-It!: At first we were a skeptical, but after thinking about it, a measureing tape that sticks is genius! The tape has 16″ center markings to indicate positioning of studs. The tape works on curved or irregular surfaces and will even measures around corners.
Fastening Tools: When there is grinding and cutting, there will inevitably be fastening. WORX has a couple of clever drivers to make the jobs easier.
- WORX SD Semiautomatic Driver: The WORX SD SemiAutomatic Driver is very clever cordless screwdriver. The Rapid Reloadable cartridge allows the right bit to be located quickly by just moving the slide back and forward to advance until the needed bit is visible. The 4V MaxLithium battery can hold its charge for up to a year. Additionally, a front-mounted LED light ensures that the workspace is always illuminated.
- WORX XTD Xtended Reach Driver: The WORX XTD includes eight of the most commonly-used screwdriver bits. The cool part of this driver is the patented extending shaft that enables the bit to reach into areas normally too recessed for the typical driver to reach. It is the only driver that can do it “on the fly.”
BTW, if you can’t find the right tool for those on your “good” list, you can always just give an Amazon Prime membership as a present 🙂