As in previous years, we have put together a series of RainyDayTastic GiftGuides for this holiday, full of suggestions for our readers. As with every one of our Guides, all of the items in this guide are either things we looked at, ones we reviewed and liked, or brand new gear we haven’t reviewed yet but we think you would like.
The one thing that stays the same year after year is our selection criteria: all of these recommendations are things we have actually touched and things we would actually want.
Before there were CNC machines, 3D printers, and laser cutters, there was “The Dremel.” The Dremel rotary tool was the original “power” tool of the DIYers. Its large assortment of sanding discs, grinding tips, and cutting blades enabled model makers, jewelry makers, and makers of all kinds to fashion items too difficult or time consuming to do manually.
Dremel still make great rotary tools, but have since expanded their line to more specialty items such as butane torches and other items for DIYers. Give some! Get some!
The Dremel VersaFlame is a small butane torch designed to make some tasks around the house easier. The VersaFlame comes with a 9-piece kit. The precision flame lets DIYers tackle a host of projects and detailed work. By switching tips, one can use the butane micro torch for wood burning, leather crafting, stencil cutting, soldering, or hot-cutting of foam, plastics and rope.
- Integrated ignition trigger – easy start up, no independent ignition tool needed
- 9-piece accessory kit – For soldering, heat blowing/deflecting, flame diffusing
- Variable temperature – Flame control features for both torch and flame operation
- Flame lock switch – Simplified operation on extended use projects
- Attachable base – For hands free operation
The Dremel VersaTip is the ideal soldering torch for DIYers engaged in creative and detailed projects that require precision, versatility, and portability. The VersaTip comes in a 14 piece kit that offers 7-in-1 capability. It is an excellent tool for soldering, melting, hot cutting, welding, shrinking, pyrography, and even precise paint removal.
- Integrated ignition trigger for easy start up, no other ignition tool required
- Operating temperature of 1022° F – 2192° F
- Variable temperature with precise control
- Flame lock for extended use projects
- 14-piece accessory kit – For soldering, cutting, shrinking, etc.
- Shaping tips – For decorative wood burning
While not as powerful as the Dremel units, this SOTO torch will work with a disposable cigarette lighter into a blow torch. Put a 50-cent lighter into this little SOTO widget, and you have a mini blowtorch that produces a searing-hot blue flame! Who WOULDN’T want one???
- Electronic ignition
- Reaches temperatures up to 1300 degrees C
Want a Dremel without the cord? The Dremel Micro is a cordless rotary tool that offers the perfect combination of size, ergonomics and power for both precise and light duty-DIY tasks. Designed to be held between the thumb and forefinger, like a pencil, the Dremel Micro allows a grip that is close to the work piece for maneuverability and control. To see what you are doing, the Dremel Micro cordless rotary tools feature LED lights built into the nose cap.
- Ergonomic design for easy handling
- LED front-end lighting, variable speed indicator, and power gauge
- Compact 8V max lithium-ion battery
- Docking/charging station
Dremel Electric Engraver
This Dremel kit lets you engrave or decorate a wide variety of materials, including metal, plastic, glass, ceramic, wood and leather. Each Dremel engraver kit includes a tool with a soft-grip body and variable stroke control so you can etch both fine lines and deep grooves. Also included is a replaceable carbide engraving point.
- 7200 spm 60 Hz
- Carbide tip
- Soft grip design
- Fine, wide, heavy line control
Need a third hand? The Dremel Multi-Vise helps secure your project or free up a hand for extra control when using a Dremel rotary tool. The removable cushioned jaws of the Multi-Vise help protect the workpiece while providing a firm grip. The tool holder turns Dremel rotary tools into a stationary sander, grinder or polisher.
- Rotates 360° and tilts 50°
- Clamps to work surface up to 2-1/2″ thick
- Removable clamping jaws create a stand-alone bar clamp
Amazon links to items mentioned:
- Dremel VersaFlame Multi-Function Butane Torch
- Dremel VersaTip Precision Butane Soldering Torch
- SOTO Pocket Torch