The Holiday Season is upon us again!
As in years past, we have assembled a fantastic series of GiftGuides full of interesting ideas for our RainyDayMagazine readers. Our Guides include items we have reviewed during the year, new ones we haven’t yet posted, and a few from years past.
The one thing that stays the same year after year is the selection criteria: all of our recommendations are things we have actually touched and things we would actually want.
Power up Gear: OneAdaptr
RainyDayDestination readers pointed us to OneAdaptr for their innovative approach to something we always appreciate whenever we travel: power adapters.
- TWIST+ World Adapter Duo – Sits between any Apple MacBook power adapter and an outside-of-the-US outlet, allowing you power up anywhere in the world. It can charge up to three USB devices simulatneously.
- TWIST Plus+ World Charging Station – Simultaneously charges Apple MacBook (via MagSafe power adapter) and 4 USB devices using only one outlet, in 150 countries (that use UK/US/AU/EU plug configurations).
- STACK Power Strip – Build the power strip of your dreams!
- FLIP DUO – An update to the British plug: 1/3 the size of the standard British plug, it also comes with 2 USB ports and a power bank. Great for traveling as the pins are hidden away when not in use.
Protective Gear : Dango, UAG, Nomad, ReoLink
While we humans have some capacity to self-heal, our gear…not so much. Gear gets dropped. Sometimes the gear gets lucky, sometimes the gear is less fortunate. Protective screens and cases help stack the odds in our gear’s favor.
There are countless “rugged” cases for extreme conditions. The downside is they tend to “beef up” our sleek smartphones way too much for everyday needs. The cases we have here offer protection that are almost as good, but at much less bulk.
- Dango Covert Case – Rugged protection without the bulk. Cobra weave 95 paracord lanyard included.
- UAG Plasma – Armor shell and impact resistant soft core. Meets military drop-test standards.
- Nomad Leather Case – Minimalist combination of protective polymer and traditional leatherwork. Full perimeter and screen protection from Horween leather that develops a rich patina through extended use. A case that gets “better with age”…what more do you want?
- InvisibleShield Glass – These guys are the “Gold Standard” when it comes to screen protection. Why risk it with anything else?
Macbook Pros are what we have used around here for as long as anyone can remember. We have never put a protective case on one because no one made a case we liked….until UAG. Their cases are the only ones which meets our form AND function criteria: excellent drop-protection, looks great on, easy to take off.
- UAG Plasma – Armor shell and impact resistant bumpers, tactile grip, cooling vents, dual lock closure, and meets military drop-test standards.
For Peace Of Mind
Many home security cameras are now easy to set up, inexpensive to operate, and accessible from anywhere in the world. However, most of them are still tethered to a power outlet, have to be mounted, and cannot “look around.” Well, Reolink has changed all that.
- Reolink Keen – 1080p (1920*1080) Full HD enables you to see super clear live streaming video. Remote control to pan 355° horizontally and Tilt 105° vertically…and battery operated! That means the Keen may be placed ANYWHERE.